Thursday, July 11, 2013

A tough, emotional day

Yesterday I spent the day with my brother and sister meeting with a realtor in preparation to sell my parent's house, my childhood home. My mother passed away in 2000 and my dad passed away in May so I've spent the better part of my summer vacation taking care of my father's estate, sorting through years of possessions and now, getting the house ready for sale. It's an event that I do not look forward to and one that brings me a mix of emotions. On the practical side, it's not a house I want, it's not in a town I want to live in, and it's not my style of house. On the sentimental side...it's my childhood home. It's where I grew up. My tap dancing shoes are why there is now sticky tile over what used to be gorgeous hardwood floors. My old bedroom is still painted that hideous pink color that all girls fall for. I am sure that there will be a wave of emotions when that for sale sign goes outside in the yard and a second wave of emotions once the final papers are signed at that house now belongs to a new family. There's a wave of emotions now just writing the words. Here's my favorite picture of my parents. I have no idea when or where it was taken but it's such a sweet picture. Love you mom and dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment